Sunday, August 30, 2009

Week 2

Today was the first day I drove. I was so stinkin proud of myself. I made it with only two honks and only had to go around the circle three times before I took the right way. I didn’t even use a map. I realize that sounds like I didn’t really get it, but on the contrary…honks happen frequently here. Driving is another fun thing to add to the list of remember this and this and this…people steal manhole covers in this country, so it’s important to dodge them entirely just incase there isn’t a top. I think most people just start driving without any official license. It’s crazy, Argentina was worse – as a passenger, since I never drove there but they are much more aggressive here than in the USA (and since I’m such an aggressive driver – do you hear the sarcasm?) it’s not too different. I’ll probably go out tomorrow morning again just to make sure I can do it again and then maybe try to find another route. There are so many one ways that it really is difficult to figure out where you’re going. I’m usually pretty good with directions so hopefully I’ll get it pretty quickly.

Yesterday we went to Santa Ana and saw the volcanoes. That was really cool. I mean how many people can say that they’ve visited and hiked around a volcano? I have some pictures if I can get them to upload. Very cool for sure!!! I’m getting better at taking pictures, although most of them aren’t that great. So I’ll have to get use to that. While in Santa Ana we visited the big church, which is the biggest attraction in the city. It was beautiful. It was about a 45 min drive to Santa Ana (which is about half-way to Guatemala…that’s such a crazy thought to me).

Things have been going really well overall. I still think it’s great that the kids somewhat enjoy me. Sydney is such a daddy’s girl and Alex is too, but he’s a little older so he’s ok to not be with daddy all the time when he’s home (most days). Sydney reads all the time…all the time. She likes me to sing kids songs to her too. We’ve done some coloring and some blocks, but that’s about all she’ll do besides reading – unless we’re away from the house. Ok, I guess she likes to do play-doh and also goes in the jump house – a big inflatable trampoline thing. Alex likes to play hide and seek. We built a fort but that wore off in about three minutes, it’s more fun to destroy things than it is to build them. I’m trying to get him to spell his name and then we’re going to work on letter sounds along with writing. But with the attention span of 30 seconds, we’ve got the A down…he knows my name is Bah-bah Becky…with a b. So maybe we have two letter sounds. Alex loves to be loved and Sydney is now letting me hug her and kiss her more. They really are great kids. They are fun to be with. Alex loves spider-man. Just about everyday he wears something that is spider-man. Batman is getting there too, but he likes to talk about venom and spider-man. He didn’t like going to school when I arrived but now does much better and seems to enjoy it. We have some people who would like to line up some playdates with the kids (they are in class with Alex). Which will be good for everyone, but we just have to find someone for Sydney too. She and Emily – Denise’s youngest are friends.

I really really like Denise. We have become friends quickly. It’s nice to have a believer and someone with the same morals that is a woman. It makes it so nice. I’ve gotten to know her husband Chris a bit more too and I enjoy his humor. He’s a Barb Lucarelli humor. Shane is a very kind man – must be the southern roots. It has been nice to get to know him better and enjoy his humor as well. I don’t think he quite gets my humor yet…but then again I just laugh at myself so eh…guess I always have an audience J We’ve been able to have a few more conversations, which has also been really nice – as far as getting to know things.

I really enjoy it here and I’m very content, although a hug from Colton and a kiss from Lucy would be welcome anytime!!! I miss constant conversation, since I’m alone most of the time, but with the ability to drive now, I foresee that being a bit different. Once I have security clearance into the embassy it will be even better – I can work out there in the mornings. I have been doing my workout videos but I’m not allowed to run in the neighborhoods so I’ll have to wait until I can get into the embassy. Weather-wise it is right around 86 each day…not so bad.

Most mornings I’ve spent studying the Word or working on my Spanish grammar. I’m trying to become bolder speaking with people, but there are so many words I need to refresh my memory in first. It’ll come. I speak with Sara usually in Spanish. She’s patient and helps me when I need help.

God is good and I pray that He will be glorified in all things here. The church has asked me to help with the youth…and by that they mean head up the youth. I’ve been approached by two different people. So please pray with me as I decide about helping. It is on a day I don’t have off so I would have to change my schedule. There are several things to pray for…so instead of listing all of them, pray for me and the people I’ve mentioned. We all have ways we could use prayer. Below you’ll find some pictures. J I do have my cell phone now, so if you’d like to call or would like me to call, shoot me a facebook message or an email beckyelyea@comcast.net and I’ll give you my number or will call you when I have the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment